Sculpture Portfolio of Contemporary Sculptors, Jeff and Ranja Dean
Our portfolio is arranged into different collections; click an image to begin browsing.
As contemporary sculptors, Ranja and I enjoy working in a diversity of subjects, styles, materials and techniques. This variety, which keeps the creative juices flowing, results from many things:
• New ideas arise from forms and subjects suggested by the shape and character of a naturally weathered piece of wood or stone.
• A subject suggested by the gesture of a pinched and twisted piece of clay or wax can be the origination of a new sculpture.
• Textures, patterns, or a chance arrangement of objects can lead to new compositions.
• Fleeting moments glimpsed in passing may spark the inspiration.
• And new techniques, tools or methods of work develop in response to the needs of the project at hand or the unique setting of a commissioned sculpture.
We experience visual art through sight and touch. As I make something, whether it be by modeling with clay or wax, carving in wood or stone, engraving steel or assembling different materials together, I’m guided by the feelings I get when I see and touch the work in my hands. The innate intention of an artist is to distill the essence of both subject and material and I’m constantly working to clarify the form and design in order to convey the feeling I’m inspired by.
When I succeed, the feeling and essence conveyed become a common thread that brings the diversity together.
My recent public art commission in Denali State Park
I recently installed this large engraved steel wall art at the new Kesugi Ken Interpretive Center in Denali State Park. It's located in the new campground at mile 135.4 on the Parks Highway. This page will give you a tour of the piece and show how it was made.
Here's the Latest from my Instagram Feed
Get my free 84 page presentation portfolio, "Art and Innovation from the Creative Fires" Now available in PDF.
Do you know of a place in your home or business, or a favorite public place that could use some special artwork? View examples of some of my commissioned work. I'd be happy to consider your proposals.